Sunday, June 29, 2008

How It All Started

A few months ago, I was surfing on the internet. I started a video game of a virtual world, amazed of what it had to offer… didn’t go there to socialize or anything, just heard of it on the news and went in by curiosity.

A week later, I was wondering on a virtual beach, discovering the “realness” of it all, when suddenly, I met an odd avatar.

We started talking. He said he was Jewish… I felt safe enough behind my avatar, speaking to an avatar who spoke a very good French (eliminating the possibility of him being a trap…), to tell him about my grandmother, and that I’m Lebanese.

He was moved. He asked if I was aware that I was Jewish. In fact I wasn’t really aware, it was somewhere in the back of my mind… time made me forget its existence.

We talked for hours and days. I discovered he is originally from Tunisia, living in France, and that he is a Lubavitch. I had no idea what Lubavitch meant. Neither the word “Shoah”.
Now, when I look back, I understand how much a learned in a year.

We “met” through msn, on video cam. I met his whole family. His daughter gave me lessons on Judaism. He did too. I used to spend hours, days and nights taking notes.
I was eager to learn. And the more I learned, the more I wanted to know…

A few months later, I was in Paris for a few days. I went to a synagogue for the first time of my life. I was overwhelmed. I even spent Roch Achana with my new spiritual family…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hy,
I'm Lebanese just like you, I've been living in Paris for some time now, where I made many French and Israeli Jew friends I even studied hebrew out of curiosity for some time, I'm intrigued fascinated by your story and the secret you keep deep inside of you. So if my understanding is correct, you have your mom's mother who's Jewish and who married a non Jew, and your father is also a non jew that's why you don't have a Jewish family name which allows you to keep your identity to yourself ... Wow and you dad, is he muslim or christian? Were you brought up in your dad's religion?
Also, have you ever thought about leaving Lebanon for the sake of being able to raise your kids in a jewish environment and "pass the torch" as you say ?
Friendly yours
XXX

lost tribe of lebanon said...

Hello,

This is exactly why I have an ordinary arabic-christian family name...

My dad is an atheist. So we were brought up with almost no religion. Only the love of G-d.Of course I referred to myself as a Christian.

I love Lebanon, it's my home, and even if I thought many times of leaving, it is very difficult to act and do it. You are Lebanese and you know how homesick we get when we are away.
Anyway, hope still keeps me here...

Bien a vous