Friday, August 29, 2008

"Hava Nagila" made in Lebanon

A few months ago, I was invited to dinner at a friend’s house. We were a bunch of good friends who often gather on week-ends instead of hanging out in night clubs.
After dinner, I proposed to one of the guest, a very dear doctor friend, to play the piano.

Before I go on with my story I would like to elaborate on this guy: When we first started meeting at diner parties or in restaurants we had always the same political point of views. One evening, the discussion was about Israel. Of course there were the attackers who would love to see the Jewish state vanish forever, and me, backed up by my Dr friend, who defended it with all the passion I had in me.

I was really happy that evening to find someone as fervent as I am. When I questioned him about his enthusiasm, he said that he admires the Jewish people for their strength and their determination. He is even working on signing a petition to renovate the Lebanese synagogue. I was startled. I had to tell him about me. And I did.
Since that day, we have a special complicity.

So that evening, I asked my Dr friend to play the piano. He decided that he will play a song for each one of us to sing along. There was the “lullaby” to the sleepy friend, Madonna’s “material girl” for the fashion victim etc… then came my turn. He winked and played “hava nagila” and he sang along. I laughed nervously. No one understood what it was. Then he switched to “hatikva”. He didn’t know the words but played it till the end. I sang in my heart. It was a very moving moment.

2 comments:

Avi said...

Your story is fascinating. I am going to blogroll you.

What are you still doing in Lebanon? Do you have plans on making aliyah? It seems very hard to lead a fulfilling Jewish life there.

lost tribe of lebanon said...

Thank you bar kochba...

i'm still in lebanon for various reasons and constraints...
but recently, seriously thinking of aliyah, the situation is deteriorating here.

jewish life is non-existent in lebanon. there is no synagogues (only the ruins of it), no rabbis and no jewish community... we do what we can, behind closed doors.