Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Story From My Childhood

Here is a story that happened in 82:
A few weeks before the IDF entered Beirut, my grand father’s (mother’s side) house was attacked by a Palestinian gang. We never knew who spread the word about my grand mother, but somehow they knew she was Jewish.
We used to live in the building facing theirs.
I can never forget the screaming, both of my grand father and from the attackers.
They were shooting at the apartment from everywhere: the main door, from the street on the living room side and the street from the kitchen side.
If it hadn’t been for a well connected neighbor, my grand parents would have been dead.
Then a few weeks later Israeli soldiers were walking those same streets. I never really asked how they got to my grand mother, but they did and she told them what happened…
They gathered all the men of the neighborhood, made them stand in line and asked my grand father to identify the attackers. (because when the neighbor interfered, my grand father had the occasion to see their faces, and they were actually adolescent/young men, most of them the neighborhood kids)
I was too young to understand the situation, but I remember my mother explaining to me that the bad guys are being caught. Those soldiers were my heroes.
My grand mother didn’t want anything bad to happen to the “kids”, and forgave them. Maybe she was thinking that from there on she was going to be safe.
She still lives in that same apartment.

3 comments:

Avi said...

It breaks my heart to hear of Jews being oppressed. Vehayu limshisa shosayich verachaku kol mevalayich.

PS My primary blog is For Zion's Sake. I just write for Jewish Vengeance. ;)

Unknown said...

JACOB'S LADDER IN BEIRUT?! i couldn't find better headline to top my modest Nostalgic childhood memoirs!!In 1953 I began my 1st year at an ARMENIAN HIGH SCHOOL'S kinder-Garten,aged 6/A Catholic child in a Protestant environment,of course there were Orthodox pupils ..too!! Anyway,by 1957,aged 10 y.old,me and some class-mates used to walk back home ,around 4PM,walking from RUE KANTARY,where ex-Lebanese LATE/GREAT President CAMILLE SHAMOUN'S residence situated nearby,from 1952->1958? & passing through WADI ABU JAMIL,or The valley of the JEWS(HARET EL YAHOOD)..sometimes we met JEWISH ALLIANCE school kids coming our way,after ascending those >>ROMAN DAYS'2000year old -warn-out-staircases that connected their school(FOR ONE REASON)i should tell WHY in my sequel comment if allowed by YOU?? Even called Jew-liker by them,or sissy? The good thing in this saga that Kids never told their parents or teachers about this/ or their principals complained to ours,that was Amazing and CIVILIZED gesture..and a relief for my NASTY mates?! & got away with it ,then got fed up repeating it..& finally STOPPED!! now,and after watching FLATLINERS> Hollywood movie starring MS.Julia ROBERTS/from LONDON and after 60 long years I PERSONALLY & ON BEHALF OF MY ,THEN HORRID CLASS-MATES;DO APOLOGIZE,,from all those were effected by it and still around alive & kicking??wherever they are today in this world :> SORRY LADIES!! WE all were kids then & ignorant as we say in Arabic :KON-NA JA-HE-LIN!But this wasn't a dream,i really witnessed real little Angels ascending/descending it..& 5 DAYS a week,& after 4PM!!

Unknown said...

SORRY FOLKS/BUT THERE ARE MANY LINES MISSING IN MY PREVIOUS HUMBLE COMMENT TITLED:JACOB'S LADDER IN BEIRUT?/after the line & before(FOR ONE REASON) as i was mentioning how we ,me and my classmates..walking through WADI ABU JAMIL(valley of the JEWS..then in the 1950s long before then & til 1975?!..Couple of my bully mates use to harass/ mostly ALLIANCE School's young Jew pupils/ aged 6/7/8y.olds,mostly females , especially The ONES wearing on their hairs, white Ribbons?or as we called it FIONKA-S, I-myself ,not because am the GOOD GUY among them,used..tried to stop it,when they bullied the girls by picking their ribbons and throw it..thinking as if they were joking..but in fact,to me this was cruel and silly act & SHAMEFUL for males picking on helpless females,sometimes i succeeded other times i was told..off!!The reason i behaved much civilized >HAD A DEEP REASON?? will tell in my sequel comment..if you allowed me to do so?...../Sincere apologies for such e-mailing ERROR/SORRY INDEED!